Stress is a normal psychological and physical reaction to the demands of college life and life in general. If you need a quick pick me up, consider listening to the words of Georgia Tech President Bud Peterson:
Here are some tips for handling stress in a healthy manner:
- Stay physically active. It doesn't even have to be strenuous, just lace up some shoes and walk briskly for 20-30 minutes each day.
- Eat nutritious foods. Try to eat at least 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables a day.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night. We know this isn't easy.
- Limit caffeine intake. Caffeine can stay in your system up to 10 hours and interfere with your ability to sleep.
- Connect with support systems. Take a break and connect with supportive friends and close family members.
- Use effective time management strategies.
- Assess your alcohol consumption. If you drink more than the daily guidelines recommend, you could end up exacerbating stress.